My photo
An Episcopal priest in the Diocese of Atlanta.

Do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with your God.



Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Episcopal 101: Why it's cool to be an Episcopalian


Session 1
Question:
Did you know that 80% of Episcopalians come from another tradition? Mother Rita started out as a Southern Baptist, then decided as a teenager to be Agnostic, married a Roman Catholic and baptized 2 kids in the RC church before finding her home in the Episcopal Church.
Where did you come from?

3 comments:

John said...

Mother Rita - Not quite as dramatic. I grew up in the Southern Baptist Church. My father was not happy when I moved to the United Methodist Church ("The churches are very different!" He was right, really.). After alot of soul searching, Linda and I left the UMC on 1/1/2000 and started visiting churches of different donominations. This included Nativity at the store front. After about six-eight months of going to different churches, we found we kept coming back to Nativity and the Episcopal Church.

Unknown said...

Baptist by birth, Episcopalian by the Grace of God.

Straw poll: how many priests have you met were once Baptist?

The Rev. Rita Henault said...

I don't have the statistics, but I know there are a lot of us, even more than the number who were once Roman Catholic.